I didn’t cry yesterday, but I sure did buy a pint of Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream. New York Super Fudge Chunk, if you’re interested in the flavor.
The day started out well enough. On Friday, I received my Springer America bike attachment in the mail. I planned a full Saturday–riding and training Fiji with the springer. The forecast was warm with a little bit of rain.
I woke up, hopped out of bed and ran upstairs to where I had set-up my bike and Springer the night before. I opened the box and began to install it. Here’s the list of what went wrong in chronological order:
- I did not have instructions. Ok, easily remedied by looking it up online, right?
- Internet went down. Ok, this cable company sucks. You knew that all along, Jasmine.
- Tried to assemble myself and kept putting the attachments on in the wrong order. Ok, this is what happens when you don’t have the directions.
- I did not have a wrench and pride would not allow me to go ask the neighbors for one. You know, you can only borrow stuff from your neighbor so many times before it gets old.
- Kept unscrewing the clamp and putting it back on to find the right order. Ugh…
- Finally got it but it was loose because of no wrench. UGH…
- Hurt my fingers trying to tighten the screws. Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One hour later, the Springer was still loose, and my heart strings were even more loose. I was mad. I couldn’t figure it out. This was a really trivial situation. But, my spirits fell, and gravity seemed to clutch on.
My mom looked at me and couldn’t believe the change. “You were just so excited. What happened? Please don’t tell me it’s because of that thing,” she said.
“No, it’s not because of that. I feel like the day before April 15, 2013 when I’m supposed to set out and embark on this great adventure, the apocalypse is going to decide to grace us with his freakin’ presence!”
I walked downstairs, shoulders hunched over, questions spiraling in my mind. Will I have enough money? Will I be fit enough? Can I really take Fiji? Can I do this? It’s amazing how assembling the Springer brought about so much self-doubt.
Of course, I rebounded back to the normal cheerful and optimistic Jasmine. I am sure whilst on the road little break downs like this will come upon me. I am prepared for them. I have a tendency to not let the negative get me down for too long.
A whole bunch of great stuff happened after yesterday. Received donations, wonderful messages from friends, support from the DailyMile community and stood on the scale to discover I lost 10 pounds! Like Annie says, “Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I love ya!”
And seeing Fiji in her new, free Web Master harness put a smile on my face.
P.S. The Springer America works wonders. I suggest using a wrench to assemble it and following instructions. Your psyche will thank you for it.